Table of Contents
Doctors enjoy a highly respectable professional career with a lot of responsibilities. They are always ready to serve the diseased and wounded among us. But is it the right career for you? Read our insights to find out.
A doctor is a person who is qualified to treat ill people. Their responsibilities include saving one’s life so they need a lot of training and knowledge to earn this position. A person with an aim to serve humanity with his abilities and skills is the one who should pursue this career. This career path is filled with dedicated people who work all their lives to mitigate the sufferings of others. They are sometimes even tasked with the responsibility of bringing their patients back to life, literally. They are supposed to be the game changer when all hopes are down.
Following are the job description for a doctor.
- Evaluating patients and providing appropriate medical treatment for various illnesses and injuries.
- Providing follow-up care of patients, referrals and laboratory results.
- Sign prescriptions and documents that require a medical doctor’s signature.
- Should be cooperative with the patients and be kind to them.
- Should be able to write records and maintain the records.
- Should promote health education and healthy lifestyle.
- Should be able to treat their patients, mentally and physically.
A candidate who dreams of becoming a doctor must choose pre-medical as their subject college and high school. After completing intermediate (FSC/A-Levels), candidates are required to appear in MCAT (Medical College Admission Test) or relevant entry test of the university they wants to pursue their medical degree in. MCAT is an objective based exam and has a limited time to solve it. Merit lists are made after the entry test according to the marks of the students. Candidates that qualify for admission are then asked to select a medical field according to their obtained merit number.
There are many medical colleges in Pakistan which are contributing to the society by producing great doctors. Some of the notable institutes among these medical colleges are:
- King Edward Medical College, Lahore
- Allama Iqbal Medical College, Lahore
- Fatima Jinnah Medical College for Women, Lahore
- Nishtar Medical College, Multan
- Quaid-e-Azam Medical College, Bahawalpur
- Dr. Adeebul Hassan Rizvi
- Dr. Yasmin Rashid
- Dr. Fahad Mirza
- Dr. Abdul Jamil Khan
- 60% or above marks in intermediate or equivalent in A-Levels.
- Applicants need to obtain a high merit number in the entry test exams of the medical colleges/universities in which they want to secure admission.
- Passionate – a passion to serve others makes doctor disciplined and willing to sacrifice an easy life for the good of others.
- Strong Work Ethics – doctors need to put in insane amount of time during their shifts. So, strong work ethics are a necessity.
- Knowledge – a doctor should have encyclopedic medical knowledge and should be aware of the latest medical news and trends.
- Humility – a doctor should be approachable and always available for their patients, despite time limitations and over-schedule.
- Confidence – a doctor should be confident in treating his patients. A doctor with strong, healthy confidence will be listened to and respected by patients.
- Manage risk – a doctor should be able to manage risk professionally keeping emotions aside.
Salary and Job Perks
The starting salary of a doctor in Pakistan is Rs. 38,000.
Following are some of the perks that a doctor enjoys during their career:
- Become a respectable person in the society
- Opportunity to serve humanity
- High paying salary
- Job security
- Free medical insurance
Doctor are among the most respectable and knowledgable people you will ever come across during your life. A career as a doctor is definitely a great choice. However, if you want to pursue this path, you must keep in mind that although the job has its perks, it is still a tough career to be in. If your aim is to help humanity and people who are ill, then by all means follow your dreams. However, if you are eyeing this career to make a lot of money, then this domain should not be your first priority.
- Growth Opportunities
With 4/5 stars, this is definitely a career to dedicate life to!
Want to pursue a career as an engineer? Read our insights about a career in engineering and if its the right path for you to make a living.